Officer struck by vehicle in Temple Hills released from hospital; 3rd suspect in custody

A third suspect involved in an incident in Temple Hills in which one officer was struck by a vehicle and another fired his gun is now in custody, according to Prince George’s County police.

Early on Wednesday afternoon, authorities in Prince George's County say an officer who was hurt after being struck by a vehicle in the Temple Hills area near Naylor Road and Suitland Parkway had been treated and released from the hospital with minor injuries.

Police say the officer was responding to the 4900 block of Beech Road near Temple Hills with another officer to investigate credit card fraud at a business at that location that appears to be a car repair shop, according to officials.

Both officers exited the police cruiser and approached the business when a black Dodge Charger came out of a garage "at a high rate of speed," striking one of the officers. 

READ MORE: Half of all Marylanders fully vaccinated; state’s 7-day COVID-19 positivity rate below 1%

The second officer on scene then discharged his weapon into the Charger before the suspects fled the parking lot.

Officials say the second officer then got back in the police cruiser to pursue the Charger, calling for backup and informing personnel about the incident.

The suspects got out of the Charger at Nayor Road and Suitland Parkway and fled, although it is not clear why or how they were stopped.

READ MORE: Maryland mom worried unemployment site woes will put her family on street

Officers apprehended two of the three suspects. Both apprehended suspects were taken to the hospital as one was tased and the other had some sort of medical emergency on scene. Minor injuries were reported for both suspects and they should both be discharged soon.

Police confirmed that a third suspect was in custody Wednesday evening.

READ MORE: Charles County neighbors battle over sink hole responsibility

The officer struck by the Charger had minor injuries and was treated and released from the hospital.

The officer who discharged his weapon has been placed on administrative leave as is protocol.

Officials say the Charger the suspects were driving was a stolen vehicle out of D.C.

Download the FOX 5 DC News App for Local Breaking News and Weather

The incident is still under investigation. Check back with FOX 5 for more updates.