FOX 5 College Internship Program
FOX 5 DC’s internship program is a unique opportunity to explore the broadcast industry and enhance the educational experience with practical applications. Individuals will learn from trained professionals in a large media market. FOX 5 has one of the most experienced teams in DC and looks forward to helping to cultivate future game-changers of the rapidly evolving journalism world.
This program is designed for students who want to learn how a news station works – from Sales, Creative and Community Services, to ultimately getting the News product on the air. If you are a student seeking to become a traditional reporter or anchor, this is NOT the internship for you. We are seeking the next generation of "news gatherers." We are looking for out-of-the-box ideas, web-based as well as over the air broadcasting techniques. Students should be savvy with digital platforms such as websites, mobile apps, social media and other online tools with a passion and desire to write, report, and produce for multi-platform news.
The Fox 5 internship is an unpaid academic credit program for college juniors and seniors. While students who enter this program should not expect immediate employment with our station, they will have the prerequisite skills to acquire an entry-level position in the broadcasting field.
Things You Need To Know About The Exclusive FOX 5 College Internship Program:
1. Internships are only available to college JUNIOR or SENIOR students.
2. Internships are 12 to 16 weeks (summer, fall and spring sessions) and a minimum of 15 hours per week.
3. Students must receive college credit for internships from an accredited four-year educational institution, with a major in Communications, Journalism or a related field.
4. Students must provide at least one recommendation from a "student advisor," who will be the primary contact throughout the internship.
5. Students must choose ONE department (listed below) for which they will serve the term of the internship.
6. The required essay should address the applicant's passion for non-traditional, multiplatform news coverage.
AVAILABLE INTERNSHIPS AT FOX 5
Students will have an opportunity to see how a newscast is created for broadcast and experience how a large market newsroom operates. With that in mind, all interested applicants should have a vast knowledge of all current events. The intern will work a rotating schedule that will allow them to experience in-house and field tasks, which include but are not limited to observing assignment editors and assignment desk, general assignment reporter shadow, writer/producer shadow and digital news.
At the end of the internship, the student should be able to pass the writing test, conduct an interview, write a story and package, and facilitate story leads for possible assignments.
CREATIVE SERVICES (promotions):
An ideal area for a student interested in promotions, creative/script writing, video and commercial production for television and social media, public relations, editing and photography. The student will gain knowledge and/or skills of promotional production through real-time observation and inclusion. They will aid in scheduling promotional materials, assist on commercial/promotional shoots, participate in editing sessions, make creative contributions, and assist with administrative support. Opportunities may include commercial conceptualization, research, pre-production, editing and post-production tasks.
SUMMER: (May – August) March 15th
FALL: (Sept – Dec) June 15th
SPRING: (Jan – April) November 15th
How to apply for the FOX 5 DC Internship Program:
1. Complete the Internship Application found HERE.
2. Submit a letter of recommendation from a student advisor at the college or university. The letter must confirm the student will receive course credit if selected for the internship program.
3. Submit resume and college transcripts.
4. Submit an essay of 250 words or less answering the following questions:
• Which department are you most interested in doing an internship and why?
• What do you expect to learn? What skills do you expect to gain?
• Why should FOX 5 DC select you for the internship program?
5. Mail or email the completed application and all other required documents (student advisor recommendation letter, resume, college transcripts and essay) to:
Mail: WTTG/WDCA – FOX Television
ATTN: Human Resources
5151 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington DC 20016
Note: FOX 5 reserves the right NOT to accept incomplete application packets. FOX 5 will NOT contact applicants if any portion of the application packet is missing or incomplete.