(FOX 5 DC) - The celebration of life services have been announced for Michelle Cummings, the mother of a Naval Midshipman candidate who was killed by a stray bullet while dropping off her son at the Academy in Annapolis, Md.
Around 12:21 a.m. on Tuesday, June 29, police were called to the scene in the unit block of West Street and found Michelle Cummings, who had been struck by a bullet.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Cummings family had only just arrived in Annapolis to celebrate the Naval Academy induction of their son. They were out celebrating when Michelle was killed.
"This loss has been too devastating and totally debilitating," her husband wrote.
Investigators believe the shots were fired from a location on Pleasant Street. They say multiple shots had been fired on Pleasant Street around the time of Cummings' death.
Her son, Leonard Cummings III, who went by ‘Trey’ was set to graduate from the Naval Academy on June 30 and was a prospect for the football team.
He did not attend the induction ceremony, instead going back to Houston, Tx. with his father following the tragic event.
The Navy Parents Tailgate Club, an organization that supports Navy Football players, also says they will be dedicating a pavilion in Michelle's honor, named "Michelle J. Cummings Pavillion," complete with signage and materials to allow people to learn about Michelle and her life.
"I am hopeful that the U.S. Naval Academy offers their full conceptual and financial support of this effort, so that Michelle's commitment to Navy football will always be recognized by all."
The investigation is ongoing and police are asking anyone who might have information that could help their investigation to call (410) 260-3439.
- Memorial Service: July 15 at 6 p.m. CST at the New Light Christian Center (1535 Greensmark Drive, Houston, Texas 77067).
- Viewing: July 16 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. CST at the Desselle Funeral Home (263 Eddie Robinson Jr. Blvd., Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802).
- Celebration of Life Service: Viewing at 9 a.m. CST on July 17, followed by a service at 11 a.m. CST at Southern University F. G. Clark Activity Center (Mini-Dome) Harding Blvd., Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70813.
- Interment: Heavenly Gates Mausoleum (10633 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70807).
- Repast: Southern University Event Center (Women's Gym located at the back of the campus) Baton Rouge.
Memorial Donations in Michelle Cummings' name will be accepted by New Light Church c/o Michelle Jordan Cummings Memorial Fund, 1535 Greensmark Drive, Houston, TX 77067.
FULL DETAILS AND STATEMENT: