Woman viciously attacked walking to gym in Capitol Hill neighborhood, no arrests made days later

No arrests have been made after a D.C. woman was viciously attacked walking to the gym in her Capitol Hill neighborhood.

The woman, who only wanted to be identified by her first name, Lexi, says she was walking on 4th Street near E Street in Southeast just before 6 a.m. on August 23.

She says she had stopped to get something from her bag when a man grabbed her and put her in a chokehold. She says she briefly lost consciousness.

"When I woke up, I was on the ground already and I felt a hand grab my hair and whack my head against the brick pavement," Lexi said. "And then I kind of sat up a little bit in shock, and then I saw a fist coming at me and he punched me in the face three times. And I remember my stuff hitting the ground, including my cell phone, and then he just took off and I started screaming, 'Help, help, help!'"

She says the man never said anything or tried to take her cell phone or belongings as he was attacking her.

"There was so much blood around me," she said. "My husband later said I was in a pool of blood. I had blood coming out of my nose, out of my mouth."

Lexi was taken to the hospital and treated for a broken nose and concussion. Ten days later, she still has black eyes and the suspect hasn't been identified.

"My thought really was, 'why?' Just, why, why why," she said. "Because I have lived on the Hill here for 20 years. This is my usual route, I walk all over the place by myself including in the evenings and early mornings, and I've never even so much as had a purse snatched here."

She wants to make sure people are aware of what happened, especially those who live and work around Capitol Hill.

Initially, the crime wasn't posted on the DC Police community listserv that informs the public of crimes in their area.

It was posted nearly a week later, after the Capitol Hill Corner blog did a story about what happened.

Councilman Charles Allen, who represents Ward One, says an error was made and the alert should have gone out. He said he's spoken to the 1D commander and is confident proper steps will be taken in the future.