Maryland native shot during Las Vegas massacre continues to recover in ICU

Just over a week after the massacre in Las Vegas, a Maryland native who survived being shot in the eye continues to make progress.

Tina Frost, 27, remains in a coma, but family says her condition is stable and she has been able to breathe on her own.

RELATED: Maryland native loses right eye in Las Vegas shooting

According to a statement from Frost's family, she has also been able to go off her blood pressure medicine.

"The hospital here is just amazing and everyone truly cares about our Tina," the statement reads.

Frost grew up in Anne Arundel County and was a star soccer player at Arundel High School. Frost's family, her boyfriend and friends are all by her side as she continues to recover in intensive care in Las Vegas.

"It's hard to keep their spirits up, but they have made a pact amongst themselves that when they are with Tina, they are only positive," said family friend Amy Klinger.

RELATED: Outpouring of support for Arundel High School graduate injured in Vegas mass shooting

Klinger says Frost was at the Route 91 Harvest Festival with her boyfriend, Austin, as well as a group of friends from San Diego, where she is currently living.

As gunfire rained down on the crowd of 22,000 people, it was a stranger who helped get Frost to safety.

"Austin and this man, Shane, carried Tina about 300 yards from where they were standing within the concert area to the street where they found a pickup truck that had space on the back of it," Klinger said.

The distance they carried her is the length of two and half football fields. Klinger said Austin has made contact with Shane since the shooting, and Frost's family says they can't thank him enough.

"He saved her life," Klinger said. "Austin probably could not have made it through the crowd that distance on his own, and this man, without blinking an eye, he helped to get her to safety and get her to the hospital as quickly as possible. And they are beyond grateful for that."

Frost's injuries were devastating.

"The bullet went through her right eye and traveled into her forehead," Klinger said. "She had to have three hours of surgery at which time they removed her right eye. And her forehead was shattered."

Frost's long-term prognosis is still unclear as is the extent of her brain damage.

"It's still too early to tell, they cannot do any brain activity testing until she's awake," said Klinger.

Klinger said family has been heartened by the outpouring of support they have received. A GoFundMe page for the family's expenses is nearing $500,000.

There are also several fundraisers happening in Maryland this month. A pub in Gambrills is holding a raffle to raise money for Frost's recovery. A tailgate is planned in Baltimore before the Ravens-Dolphins game. Also, a restaurant in Odenton is donating a portion of its sales for Frost.