Baltimore police handing over evidence in Freddie Gray investigation to State's Attorney's Office

Baltimore police announced Wednesday they will not be releasing a report on Freddie Gray's death on Friday as previously expected. Instead, they are going to hand the investigation over to the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office.

"There is not a report that is going to be issued," said Baltimore Police spokesperson Capt. Eric Kowalczyk. "What we are going to do, which is unique, is turn over all of our findings, all of our investigative efforts to the state's attorney's office.

"We have an obligation to be accountable to the people of Baltimore on this investigation. We know there are a lot of people who want answers, who have concerns they want addressed."

Kowalczyk said they could not release of all information to the public because "if there is a decision to charge in any event by the state's attorney's office, the integrity of that investigation has to be protected."

The 25-year-old Gray died from a spinal injury after he was arrested by Baltimore police. It is unknown when Gray suffered the injury while he was in police custody.

This announcement comes after Baltimore's mayor met with community leaders and Gray's family to make sure people understand they may not get all the answers they want.

The Gray family wants justice, but also wants the city to get the investigation right.

Before the announcement was made, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake was trying to dampen expectations about this report that was expected on Friday.

However, at that time, there was no mention that police would turn the investigation over to the state's attorney's office.

There was a very real concern that the city could have seen another outbreak of violence when that report came out.

The mayor and the attorney for Gray's family stood side by side trying to make sure people understood that justice cannot be rushed.

"To have a conversation about how we don't just seek justice, but we make a pathway forward to have justice and peace at the same time," said Rawlings-Blake.

"The family is very disappointed about what has happened," said Hassan Murphy, the attorney for the Gray family. "They understand first-hand that people are disappointed and that this is symptomatic of a much larger problem. But at the same time, they wish that their son's name hadn't been marred by this violence."

The mayor also said she was wrong to call some of the protesters "thugs" and it was said under intense circumstances. But she said the conversation needs to be about justice and not about her mistakes.

The Gray family's attorney said he stands by the mayor and that the family wants to take the debate back.


Baltimore police handing over evidence in Freddie Gray investigation to State's Attorney's Office

Schools reopen in Baltimore; heavy police and National Guard presence remains

Rapper Wale visits Baltimore high school following riots

Orioles play game in closed stadium a fter Baltimore riots

#BaltimoreStrong: In aftermath of riots, signs-- and sounds-- of hope in Baltimore

PHOTO: Prince George's County officer helps Baltimore boy with broken bike

5 things to know about Baltimore's curfew

VIDEO: Angry mother disciplines son after catching him participating in Baltimore riots

Small businesses destroyed in Baltimore riots

Obama: 'No excuse' for violence in Baltimore

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake under fire for 'balancing act' comments

Baltimore Police: Gangs said to be targeting cops

BALTIMORE RIOTS: Riots erupt in Baltimore after funeral of black man who died in police custody

Thousands attend funeral for Freddie Gray in Baltimore