Maryland murder victim’s mother opposes home release for quadruple amputee suspect

Published August 21, 2026 4:53 PM EDT

The mother of a Maryland murder victim is speaking out as the trial for his accused killer faces delays. She is demanding that the suspect, a quadruple amputee, remain behind bars despite requests from his defense team for home detention. 

What we know:

Dayton Webber, a professional corn hole player who was previously profiled by ESPN, is accused of murdering one of his best friends, Bradrick Wells. 

Dayton shakes hands with his opponent, Mac Scott, before their match.

Webber's arms and legs were amputated due to an infection he had as an infant. 

According to police, Webber was driving his Tesla in La Plata with three passengers in March when an argument escalated. Authorities said Webber shot Wells twice in the head, dumped his body miles away and fled to Virginia before being arrested and extradited to Maryland to face murder charges. 

According to Webber's attorneys, the shooting was self-defense. 

PREVIOUS REPORTING | Quadruple amputee, professional cornhole player faces murder charges

Webber's trial was postponed after prosecutors requested more time to retrieve DNA analysis results. A judge granted the delay over the defense team's objections. The move pushes the trial back, possibly until next year. A new trial date has not been set. 

Following the postponement, Webber's defense attorney requested that he be released on home detention while awaiting trial, citing his extreme disability. However, the Charles County Sheriff's Office said the jail is maintaining full ADA compliance for Webber while he is in custody.

Victim's mother speaks out 

What they're saying:

Wells' mother, Anita Stewart Murchison, strongly opposes releasing Webber from jail. 

"It's like I'm being tortured. I want this to be over and justice to be served," Murchison said, emphasizing that justice means holding the suspect accountable to think about his actions for the rest of his life.

READ MORE | Dayton Webber update: Authorities took arm prints of quadruple amputee charged with murder

In response to the defense's request for home detention, Murchison questioned why the suspect should be granted freedom while her family mourns her son who left behind an infant daughter. 

"He shouldn't get to go home. We don't get a chance to see Brad again," Murchison said. "The way I feel isn't about hatred or revenge; it's about justice and looking at the overall picture—is the community safe if he gets out? Allegedly, he done what he done to Brad, so is anyone else safe?"

Murchison has started a nonprofit foundation in Wells' name: BRAD (Building Resources Against Destruction.) 

BRAD Foundation for Maryland Murder Victim Bradrick Wells

The Source: Information in this article is from original FOX 5 DC reporting. 

Crime in the DMVMaryland CrimeNewsCharles County