Family escapes massive Bowie blaze

A family is out of their home after a massive fire in Bowie Thursday evening.

Devin Conwell said he heard a loud pop in his backyard on Cape Cod Circle and saw black smoke when he looked out the window. He was in the home with his 12-year-old daughter and two sons, 16 and 9. 

READ MORE: Fire destroys Upper Marlboro home, no injuries reported

"You’re thinking, maybe I’ll go try to get this or get that, like my wallet and everything," said Conwell. "But all I could think of was the kids, just getting the kids out the house. It was that kind of moment. We just want to be safe more than anything else."

His 9-year-old son, Chase, said he was up in his bedroom when he say the flames.

"When I looked, I saw the fire in the living room and then I got scared," said Chase. "Then I screamed my sister‘s name, then my dad came."

Download the FOX 5 DC News App for Local Breaking News and Weather

His dad grabbed him and made sure the other kids were right behind them.

"All you see is the house on fire," said Conwell. "I’m calling 911 and on the phone talking to somebody, they’re on their way, but the whole time, your house is burning up."

Firefighters responded just before 7 p.m. to the townhome community.  

READ MORE: 5 former Prince George’s County volunteer firefighters indicted in multiple arsons

"There was heavy fire showing from all four sides of the building," said Michael Yourishin, with Prince George’s Co. Fire.

Fire officials are still investigating what sparked the fire.

The family is getting assistance from emergency officials.