A federal jury has convicted a man of planting two bombs on New York City streets, including one that injured 30 people when it detonated.
Jurors in Manhattan on Monday found Ahmad Khan Rahimi, 29, guilty of all charges, including counts of using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a public place. The Afghanistan-born man living in Elizabeth, New Jersey, faces a maximum punishment of life in prison.
Prosecutors said Rahimi considered himself "a soldier in a holy war against Americans" and was inspired by the Islamic State group and al-Qaida to carry out the attacks on Sept. 17, 2016.
Rahimi planted two pressure-cooker bombs in Manhattan that day. One on 23rd Street exploded but the second one, on 27th Street, didn't detonate.
He is also accused of planting a pipe bomb along the course of a military-themed running race in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, that same morning. The bomb detonated but didn't hurt anyone because the start of the race was delayed.
"Today's verdict is a victory for New York City, a victory for America in its fight against terror, and a victory for all who believe in the cause of justice," said Joon H. Kim, acting U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York.
Defense attorneys did not challenge much of the government's evidence but urged jurors to acquit Rahimi. Sabrina Shroff, a federal defender, said her client remained calm as the verdict was read.
Two days after the Manhattan bombing, Rahimi got into a shootout with police officers in New Jersey. He was wounded an arrested. He has been held without bail since then.
Rahimi is still faces charges in New Jersey related to the pipe bomb and the shootout with cops.
The Afghanistan-born man didn't testify at his trial.
With the AP.