Questions raised as authorities investigate death of former DeMatha High School football player

There are new questions about the death of a former DeMatha Catholic High School football player who plunged 16 stories from a campus residence hall at Duquesne University.

As students and teammates grieve the loss of 21-year-old Marquis "Jaylen" Brown, some are raising doubts regarding the official account of what happened on the 16th floor of Brottier Hall Thursday night.

The university said Brown jumped out of the window after campus police arrived to investigate a reported disturbance. According to the school newspaper, campus police were on the 16th floor investigating an altercation and officers were talking to Brown when he ran to a nearby window and jumped out.

According to KDKA-TV, a resident who lives below the apartment where it happened told the television station that she heard what sounded like yelling and dragging across the floor. She doesn't believe the university's statement.

Brown, a D.C. native, had just celebrated his 21st birthday on the day before his death. According to friends close to Brown's family, his mother posted on Facebook saying her son did not jump from the window as reported by the university.

On Saturday, Duquesne wide receiver Kellon Taylor honored Brown by wearing his jersey during the team's home game against Bryant University.

Duquesne head football coach Jerry Schmitt said in a statement:

"The team met early this afternoon as a group and decided that the best way to honor JB's memory is to play Saturday's game as scheduled. We left the decision purely up to the team and made it clear that we would support them whether they chose to play or not. This has been a difficult day for everyone associated with our football program and the University as a whole. Above all, we continue to offer our thoughts and prayers to the Brown family."

A private memorial service for Brown was held on campus Sunday night.

FOX 5 has reached out to both Pittsburgh police and the university asking about the conflicting accounts on Brown's death. The university said it had "no information to add" and directed us to a statement released on Friday.

Meanwhile, local authorities are declining to comment because the investigation is ongoing.