No major disturbances reported after 2nd night of curfew in Baltimore ends

A nighttime curfew for Baltimore that began at 10 p.m. Wednesday ended Thursday at 5 a.m. with no major disturbances reported.

It was the second night of the curfew, which was put in place after riots Monday over the death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray, who died from injuries he received while in police custody.

There were calm protests in Baltimore Wednesday as police announced they will not release a report on the Freddie Gray case later this week as previously expected. Instead, they will hand the investigation over to the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office.

Hundreds of people marched through the streets Wednesday evening to City Hall demanding to see the mayor as they protested the death of Freddie Gray. The demonstration has been peaceful. Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said 16 adults and two juveniles were arrested during protests throughout the day on Wednesday.

Large group of peaceful protestors marching thru Baltimore en route to City Hall. @MarinaMarraco is live on #fox5dc

Police and the National Guard are patrolling the streets for a second night of curfew. Commissioner Batts said Wednesday evening it has been working well so far. However, tensions grew as the curfew approached. Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) was on the streets with a bullhorn asking for people to go home.

But within an hour after the curfew went into effect Wednesday night, it appeared the streets were cleared out without any major issues.

Schools reopened across the city on Wednesday after Baltimore made it through the first night of its curfew without the widespread violence many had feared. Police reported 35 arrests during the curfew Tuesday night.

Meanwhile, 3,000 police and National Guard troops are working to keep the peace and prevent a repeat of the looting and arson that erupted on Monday. Police in riot gear guarded the Mondawmin Mall after school let out.

While there were no widespread incidents, FOX 5's Rick Boone reported a teen injured a woman with a rock Wednesday afternoon. In response, the woman pulled a knife on the teen.


In addition to the protests in Baltimore, demonstrators in Washington D.C., New York City, Boston and other cities around the country are rallying on their streets Wednesday night protesting the death of Freddie Gray, an unarmed black who died from spinal injuries while in police custody in Baltimore. The protests have been peaceful for the most part, but there have been arrests reported in New York City.


In her first public remarks since being sworn into her new position, new Attorney General Loretta Lynch on Wednesday called the Baltimore riots as "senseless acts of violence." Lynch has been in contact with officials in Maryland to offer federal support to the city if needed.


On Wednesday, more than 100 people arrested during Monday's riots in West Baltimore -- within a mile of where Freddie Gray, 25, was arrested and placed into a police van earlier this month -- were finally let go, the Maryland Public Defender's Office said.

Baltimore Police Capt. Eric Kowalczyk said police have a 48-hour window to charge those arrested or they would be allowed to go free. Police said the backlog occurred because officers have to fill out documents and do other work to file the charges.

Attorneys representing people arrested during this week's violence and looting are frustrated that suspects are being assigned bail they believe is exorbitant. Many of those charged can't pay it, and may spend months in jail awaiting trial.

In several cases Wednesday, Assistant Senior State's Attorney David Chu asked that bail be revoked.

The total number of arrests since Monday's riots has grown to over 250.


The Baltimore mayor is defending her response to the unrest, saying when the protests turned violent, she knew the city needed help from the National Guard.

Asked about Gov. Larry Hogan saying he didn't get calls back from her as the riots unfolded Monday afternoon, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said state officials were part of the operation the entire time.

"When he has people right there in the (emergency operations) center with us, the notion that he didn't get a call back from me directly and that was of concern, that's absurd when you have people in the room," she said Wednesday as schools reopened and tensions eased in the city.


With rubble and debris looming nearby, and tempers still smoldering in riot-torn Baltimore, the Orioles played a baseball game on Wednesday.

The game was held behind closed doors, and the Orioles and Chicago White Sox played because it was the best time to fill out the schedule for both teams. Some fans gathered outside Camden Yards to cheer on the team.


The Associated Press contributed to this report.

#BaltimoreStrong: In aftermath of riots, signs-- and sounds-- of hope in Baltimore

PHOTO: Prince George's County officer helps Baltimore boy with broken bike

5 things to know about Baltimore's curfew

VIDEO: Angry mother disciplines son after catching him participating in Baltimore riots

Small businesses destroyed in Baltimore riots

Obama: 'No excuse' for violence in Baltimore

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake under fire for 'balancing act' comments

Baltimore Police: Gangs said to be targeting cops

BALTIMORE RIOTS: Riots erupt in Baltimore after funeral of black man who died in police custody

Thousands attend funeral for Freddie Gray in Baltimore