Fireworks accidentally ignite massive DC apartment fire that displaced 76 residents

Officials say fireworks accidentally ignited a massive apartment fire in Washington, D.C. that injured a firefighter and left dozens of residents without a home.

The fire was reported on Tuesday around 2 p.m. in the 2600 block of Bowen Road. Vito Maggiolo, a spokesman for DC Fire and EMS, confirmed the cause Wednesday afternoon.

Image 1 of 2

Fireworks accidentally ignite massive DC apartment fire

When crews arrived at the scene Tuesday, smoke and flames billowed from the roof of the four-story building. The fire spread quickly to other structures in the complex. The fire was so intense that all firefighters were evacuated from inside the buildings.

Officials say one resident was rescued from the apartment and transported to a nearby hospital with smoke inhalation and non-life-threatening injuries. One firefighter was also transported with injuries considered not to be life-threatening.

Image 1 of 7

Massive DC apartment fire on Bowen Road displaces 76 residents (DC Fire and EMS)

Crews also were able to rescue a puppy from one of the apartment units.

A total of 76 people were left displaced due to the blaze. The Red Cross, D.C. Homeland Security & Emergency Management, and the Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services are assisting.

Firefighters in Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, Arlington, and Alexandria assisted with other calls in the District while D.C. units were on the scene of the blaze.