Man injured after being attacked inside DC wine store with hammer, police say

UPDATE: A previous version of this story identified another person as a suspect in this case. DC Police said on Oct. 7 that photos in the previous release dated Oct. 4, 2018 were incorrect. The person police now say is the suspect was captured by a nearby surveillance camera and have been reflected in this story.

A man was assaulted with a hammer inside a retail wine store in the Logan Circle neighborhood of D.C., authorities say.

The attack happened inside the Cork & Fork store at 14th Street and Church Street in Northwest D.C. at around 3:14 p.m. Thursday.

According to the police report, the victim and another person were walking on 14th Street when the suspect, who was standing near a public trash can, spit on the victim. After the victim verbally confronted the suspect, a chase ensued with the suspect running after the victim and the other person. The pair ended up running into Cork & Fork to try to get away from the suspect, but the suspect followed them into the store and hit the victim several times in the head with a metal hammer he was carrying.

The report states that after the victim kicked and grabbed the suspect, which caused both of them to fall to the floor, the acquaintance of the victim grabbed a bottle of wine and struck the suspect twice in the head with the bottle. The suspect slipped out of a hoodie he was wearing and fled the scene.

The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

On Thursday night, D.C. police released images of a person of interest connected to the hammer attack, but have now said this person was incorrectly identified.

On Sunday, D.C. police released a statement saying that photos in the previous release dated October 4, 2018 were incorrect. The suspect was captured by a nearby surveillance camera and have been released for witnesses to identify.

This incident comes more than two weeks after a D.C. woman stabbed to death in the same neighborhood while she was out for a run several blocks away on 11th and P streets. A 23-year-old man has been charged with her murder.