Man charged with attempting to rape woman inside her Camp Springs home

A 23-year-old D.C. man has been charged with attempting to rape a woman inside her Prince George's County home in Maryland, according to police.

Prince George's County police say officers responded to the victim's home on Oakland Way in Camp Springs on Saturday at around 11:55 a.m.

When the first patrol officer arrived at the scene, police say the officer saw the suspect, identified as Khary Edwards, of Southeast D.C., running away from the home naked. The officer chased after the suspect, but lost sight of him in the 5800 block of Auth Road.

However, police were later able to locate the suspect clothed walking on Auth Road. After another foot chase, Edwards was apprehended, police say.

According to investigators, Edwards had broken into the victim's home and attempted to sexually assault her. He also assaulted her and stole items before fleeing from the home.

Police say the suspect and the victim did not know each other.

Edwards is charged with attempted murder, attempted rape, robbery and other charges. He is being held without bond.

Neighbors say the victim has been living in her Camp Springs neighborhood for decades, but is now too scared to return.

Court documents obtained by FOX 5 show Edwards was arrested and charged with first-degree sexual abuse for an incident on Sept. 25 at a gas station on Alabama Avenue in Southeast D.C. The documents say Edwards parked his car, grabbed a woman by the neck and said, "You are going to take this [expletive]."

The court documents go on to say the woman told police that Edwards had helped her by giving her rides to and from work. But on this night, she claims he bent her over the car's center console and removed her leggings. She then told him, "Stop, get off me." However, she said she gave in and Edwards sexually assaulted her.

The victim tried leaving the car and asking for help, but Edwards ultimately grabbed her by the hair and forced her back in the car, according to the court documents.

FOX 5 has learned Edwards was under high-intensity supervision by the court, which includes a GPS monitor, for the D.C. case.

D.C. Superior Court would not say why Edwards was back out on the street, but did say it was the prosecution that requested he be released until his next court hearing, which would have been this Friday.