A new report states that faulty wiring is to blame for a railing at MGM National Harbor Hotel and Casino shocking a 6-year-old girl, hospitalizing her with critical injuries.
The preliminary assessment obtained by the Washington Post states that faulty installation enabled 120 volts of electricity to be jolted into 6-year-old Zynae Green. The Post reports that is 10 times the amount that should have been powering the handrail lighting.
The preliminary assessment goes on to say the failures stem from code violations that shouldn't have passed the permitting and inspection process, according to the Post.
Zynae was rushed to the hospital after authorities said she was shocked after touching a rail at the resort complex in Oxon Hill, Maryland just before midnight on June 26.
Family members told FOX 5 that Zynae was shocked when she touched a metal railing near an outdoor water fountain. A security guard rushed to help the girl, but was also shocked, family members said. The security guard was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, officials stated.
County officials ordered MGM to disconnect all the lighting to the handrails and issued a correction order, according to the Post. The Post reports that inspectors completed the inspection order and stated there was no imminent danger to the public.
Zynae's family told FOX 5 she's making major improvements and recovering at the hospital. Officials said the investigation into the incident, which includes county and private investigators, is ongoing.
MGM released the following statement to FOX 5: "This was a tragic accident and our thoughts continue to be with the young girl and her family. The safety of our guests is something we take very seriously. MGM National Harbor has been working closely with multiple county agencies, including the County Fire Department and independent forensic experts, in their efforts to determine a cause. As this is an ongoing review, we cannot comment until official conclusions are presented and a final report is issued."