DC man killed in crash with DC fire truck, family looking for answers

D.C. Fire confirmed to FOX 5's Paul Wagner that the fire engine involved in the crash that claimed the life of a D.C. man Friday is the same engine that struck a police cruiser when brakes failed in October 2015. Wagner reports the fire department switched the engine number from 28 to 26 after the 2015 crash, and the engine was moved to another fire station.

Friday's crash claimed the life of 31-year-old Deangelo Green, and left a pregnant woman injured when she was struck by another car involved in the crash. Detectives say she was taken to the hospital in stable condition. A firefighter also suffered minor injuries but is expected to be okay.

Green's family says it's been an extremely difficult time. Green's widow, T'Anita Coles-Green, says she's hoping to get some answers as the investigation continues.

According to investigators, Green's gold Honda Accord entered the intersection of 12th Street NE and Rhode Island Avenue NE at about 12:15 p.m. Friday, and was t-boned by a D.C.fire engine. A witness said to FOX 5 the fire truck had its lights on when the crash happened.

The couple had been married just two years, but they've known each other since Coles-Green was 14.

Coles-Green found out about the accident because she works as a traffic controller in the District, and was she actually called to the scene to help direct traffic moments after the collision. When she arrived, she realized that the mangled car was her husband's.

"I called him, he wasn't answering. I knew something wasn't right," she said.

Soon after, officers informed her the man who was killed was her husband.

"It would've been our two-year anniversary in July. He would've been 32 in May. He was coming from a meeting at his job. It wasn't supposed to be like this," she told FOX 5.

Green leaves behind six children, and a lesson for his oldest son.

"I gotta raise my brother to be a man, like how he taught me to be a man and take care of myself," said Da'mon Thomas.

Coles-Green says she hopes to soon find out exactly what happened the day of the crash.

Paul Wagner reports it is unclear if the brake issues that led to the October 2015 crash are related to Friday's crash.

"My husband's life was lost and I want answers, and I'm not going to stop until I get them," Coles-Green said.

D.C. police are continuing to investigate Friday's crash.