Contracted MGM National Harbor electrical inspector served search warrant, sources say

Months after a girl was critically injured when she was shocked by a railing at MGM National Harbor, police searched the home of the electrical inspector who was hired to work on the hotel and casino, sources tell FOX 5 Tuesday.

Sources say the inspector, who worked for a third-party company, reportedly has been interviewed by homicide detectives.

A source tells FOX 5 that police took computers, books and bank records from the inspector's home.

The inspector's lawyer, Martin Oliverio, says he believes his client is being used as a scapegoat in the investigation, when the blame should ultimately shift to Prince George's County's Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement (DPIE).

DPIE said it would be inappropriate to comment on the lawyer placing the blame for the electrocution with the county agency, citing the ongoing police investigation.

Prince George's County police released the following statement to FOX 5:

"The Police George's County Police Department acknowledged several months that ago that we were asked to lead an investigation into this matter. Please understand that we cannot comment at this time due to the ongoing and complex nature of this endeavor. However, when the time arises and the Chief has facts that he can bring to our community, he will do so."

MGM National Harbor declined to comment on the new reporting.

The search warrant was executed just weeks after a report obtained by The Washington Post, revealed that faulty wiring was to blame for shocking 6-year-old Zynae Green.

RELATED: Faulty wiring to blame for MGM rail shocking 6-year-old girl, report states

The preliminary assessment indicated that faulty installation enabled 120 volts of electricity to be jolted into 6-year-old Zynae Green. The Washington Post reports that is 10 times the amount that should have been powering the handrail lighting.

The preliminary assessment goes on to say the failures stem from code violations that shouldn't have passed the permitting and inspection process, according to the Post.

Family members say Zynae is still recovering and receiving care at a rehabilitation center.

Zynae was rushed to the hospital after authorities said she was shocked after touching a rail at the resort complex in Oxon Hill, Maryland just before midnight on June 26.

A security guard who came to help Zynae when she was shocked, was also shocked himself and taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, officials stated.

Prince George's County police and officials with the Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement are investigating the electrocution.