Wrong 10-year-old boy pulled out of school by Child and Family services in DC

A 10-year-old boy was pulled out of school by Child and Family services in D.C. -- only there's one problem, it was the wrong child. A combination of the urgency of the situation and some unlucky coincidences caused it to happen, confusing a young boy and leaving his grandmother with an experience she'll never forget.

According to D.C. Child and Family services, they showed up at C.W. Harris Elementary School to pick up a child named Michael, but they left with the wrong one. "How did he get past the principal not being notified that a student was taken out of her school by child and family services," Trina Adams , Michael's grandmother questions.

Once the interview with Michael began, child and family services say they realized quickly that they had made a mistake. They were able to reunite Michael with his family and find the correct Michael.

Adams explained that she knows child and family services were coming to the school for a good cause because it was for a child's safety and that is why she is not too mad but she thinks there need to be stricter protocols. "Just so this wouldn't happen again, because I definitely didn't think it would happen to me," Adam's expressed. Her other problem was how she was notified of the mixed up. The boy's normal bus driver called her to alert that Michael was not on the bus to go home, after checking with family members she panicked realizing no one knew where he was.

A spokesperson with child and family services explained that everything happened so fast. "We had a real serious report about physical abuse of a young child and we were moving with great urgency to protect. A care giver in the home would not give us information we needed about a second child, and an older child," explained Mindy Good with D.C. Child and Family services. So they looked up the child's name in a D.C. public schools directory, and found him, or so they thought. "The right gender, right age the right age and the same name and we went and picked him up," said Good.

The agency said they were sorry and agrees the mix up was a serious mistake. They also said they are going to revise their own protocols. "We're going to be looking at our own protocols and sitting down with DCPS and looking at what we can do," Good expressed.