VIDEO: Suspects trash Northwest DC convenience store

It was caught on camera -- a dangerous duo struck a Park View convenience store. But this was far from your typical stick up. There was no gun -- just fury -- enough to turn the store upside down. And the store's cashier is just thankful to be alive after the close encounter.

It all reportedly started when a customer asked to buy cigars. That purchase requires picture identification, but as it turns out, the customer turned suspect did not want to hand one over.

What happened next could have been worse, but it was enough to rattle the worker behind the window.

"I don't know what they wanted," said Esays Woldemesektl. "I think they were drinking too much alcohol and they smoked something. I don't know."

The two men tore apart the 77 Market convenience store after Woldemesktl refused to sell them cigars.

"He tried to steal something there," Woldemesktl said. "The candy, then the lighters, then he broke the door with his leg."

Despite surveillance cameras rolling, the group continued on their path of destruction leaving thousands of dollars worth of damage behind.

"One of the two, I saw before," said the cashier. "I think one of the guys who came in here, he was drinking alcohol."

"Almost frustrating to hear that happened to some nice people just trying to make a living," said Nathaniel Kane.

He works nearby and comes to the 77 Market every other day. So does Mercedes Starks, who blames this illegal outburst on lack of parenting.

"My children wouldn't act like that at all," said Starks. "I feel bad this happened at this store because they're not bad people and easy to get along with."

The mayhem all reportedly went down on Saturday morning. Woldemesktl said he called police several times starting shortly after 5 a.m.

"I called 5:13 a.m., 5:25 a.m., 5:45 a.m., then they came around in the morning -- 6 a.m. or something," said Woldemesktl.

By then, the suspects had struck a second time, only returning to do more damage.

There was reportedly up to $5,000 worth of merchandise destroyed and at least $7,000 worth of equipment damaged, including the smoothie machine.

FOX 5 contacted D.C. and there was no response to the accusation that it took police an hour to respond.