Two year old girl dies in Beltway crash

Police reported that a two-year-old girl who was transported to Children's Hospital Trauma Center in Washington, D.C., with critical injuries following an evening rush hour collision, has passed away.

Just after 5:30 PM Friday, the Maryland State Police Forestville Barrack was notified of a motor vehicle collision with serious injuries on the outerloop of the Capital Beltway near Maryland Route 5 (Branch Avenue).

Police identified the victim as Leelete Andargie, 22, of Oxon Hill. Her five-year-old sister, Meklit, went to the hospital for injuries.

Upon arrival, troopers found a three vehicle collision with multiple injuries. Among those injured was a two-year-old girl who was unconscious and receiving medical treatment from family members and a witness on scene. The child was transported to the hospital with critical injuries. Unfortunately, the child later passed away as a result of the injuries sustained in the crash.

On scene investigation revealed that a black Chevrolet passenger vehicle was traveling northbound on I-495 when the driver failed to slow for stopped traffic and struck the rear of a white Toyota Camry. The Camry, in turn, struck the rear of a black Cadillac sedan. The two-year-old child was a passenger in the Toyota Camry. Two other passengers were transported to area hospitals with minor injuries. Prince George's County Fire and EMS along with Maryland State Highway assisted Maryland State Police at the scene. All lanes of the outerloop were closed for several hours while Maryland State Police CRASH Team personnel reconstructed the collision and resulting outerloop delays extend into Virginia starting at Telegraph Road to Branch Avenue.

The investigation into the collision is ongoing and charges are pending. Alcohol is not considered a factor in the crash. The Maryland State Police remind motorists to always buckle up and to maintain a safe following distance from vehicles in front. Anyone with information about the crash may contact the Forestville Barrack at 301-568-8101.

Police say charges are pending.