CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (AP) -- A San Francisco Bay Area park district plans to install bigger signs warning people to keep their dogs away from an algae-filled lake after three dogs that were exposed to its waters died.
The Contra Costa Times reports (http://bayareane.ws/1HF1pEv) that the most recent death linked to Lake Chabot in Alameda County occurred on Wednesday. Officials blame the state's drought, which has increased algae concentrations in the lake to toxic levels.
The East Bay Regional Park District has long banned dogs from wading or swimming in the lake, but some still do.
Park district spokeswoman Carolyn Jones says the district is now putting up more, bolder signs advising people to keep their dogs away from the water.
Information from: Contra Costa Times, http://www.contracostatimes.com
© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.