Rewind To The Crime: The unsolved murder of Lillian Juette Minor

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Md. (FOX 5 DC) -- The unsolved murder of a Prince George's County school teacher continues to haunt her family 34 years later. Lillian Juette Minor was found stabbed to death inside her Temple Hills apartment in January 1985 -- the killer left behind just one bloody palm print.

The vicious murder of Lillian Juette Minor stunned not only her family but the school community in Prince George's County where she taught English and social studies to eighth graders at Walker Mill Middle School. Juette Minor was a teacher loved so much by her students they would line up just for one of her hugs.

"Why Juette? How did this happen? She was such an amazing person -- a dedicated teacher. She was gregarious and joyful," said Stacy Pervall.

Stacy Pervall is Minor's cousin who was just 16 when she was killed.

"I remember being by the grave site with Aunt Lillian, saying 'goodbye,'" said Pervall.

But what's stuck with Stacy after all these years is the injustice of it all as she sat in the jury box at the recent trial of Daron Wint -- the man convicted in the "Mansion Murders Case" -- she wanted to know if more could be done to find her cousin's killer.

"And so, after the trial… it became important to me, I think, as part of my healing journey," said Pervall.

Early in the morning of January 2, 1985, a maintenance man noticed the screen removed from a window outside Minor's apartment and found her dead inside.

"She was completely nude and was suffering from multiple stab wounds -- close to 30 stab wounds on her entire body," said Detective Bernie Nelson with the Prince George's County Police.

At the time of the murder, there were a number of cat burglaries taking place in the Temple Hills neighborhood where Minor lived. Police say the burglar was targeting basement apartments like the one Minor was living in at the time of her murder. Police believe the burglar broke in through a window and confronted Minor. where she fought for her life.

"She fought until she could fight no more," said Nelson.

Police soon learned they had very little to work with. Nothing was taken, Minor was not sexually assaulted and the murder weapon was gone. The only evidence left behind was one bloody palm print.

Thirty-four years later, that print is all detectives have to work with. The case is now with the FBI.

"Their palm print comparison system did not kick in until 2010, which is when they began to work with those and now they have new technology that we are putting these palm prints through," said Nelson.

So now, for Stacy and her family after all this time:

"I hope that just having awareness about the case that perhaps other residents in that apartment complex might have heard something... might know something," said Pervall.