Red Line shooting suspect accidentally hit his half-brother, Metro police say

A teenager has been arrested after police said he accidentally shot his half-brother during a scuffle on the Metro on Sunday, according to officials.

Metro police said 18-year-old Jermaine Brown of Seat Pleasant, Maryland was taken into custody overnight by officers at a motel in Capitol Heights.

Detectives said their investigation revealed Brown and his 14-year-old half-brother were traveling on a Red Line train near Takoma when Brown was approached by three other suspects at about 3 p.m.

Investigators said one of the suspects challenged Brown to a fight and a scuffle ensued. During the altercation, which was captured by video cameras on the train, police said Brown pulled a gun and fired multiple times.

A round struck his half-brother in the stomach and two other bullets hit the train, according to officials. There were about 20 passengers on the train at the time, authorities stated.

"The number of the passengers on there was concerning, but as soon as the fray started everybody started doing the right thing and distancing themselves from the incident," Metro Transit Police Chief Ron Pavlik said.

Detectives said they believed Brown's half-brother was not the intended target. Metro investigators said they also determined the shooting happened in Maryland prior to the train crossing into the District.

The 14-year-old victim was rushed to the hospital and he was listed in stable condition as of Monday morning.

Brown currently faces one charge of first-degree assault in Montgomery County.

Police were still searching for the three suspects who exited the train at the Takoma Metro Station. Detectives said the suspects crossed the platform and boarded a train heading in the opposite direction and later got off at the Silver Spring Metro Station.

Anyone with information that could aid detectives in their investigation was urged to call the Metro Transit Police Department Criminal Investigations Division at (301) 955-5000.

Officials said the shooting remained under investigation and additional charges were possible.