Prince George's Co. high school student's cell phone catches fire, school temporarily evacuated

A cell phone in a Prince George's County high school student's backpack caught fire, officials say, causing the school to temporarily evacuate Tuesday morning.

Prince George's County Public school officials say the small fire at Potomac High School in Glassmanor originated in the ninth grade wing.

They say two staff members were treated for smoke inhilation.

Prince George's County Fire says a security guard suffered minor smoke inhalation and was transported to an area hospital.

PGCPS say the fire has been resolved, but smoke remains in the annex, which will remain closed until smoke is cleared.

Prince George's County Fire says they cleared the scene, but were called back to the school after some students reported minor irritation from the smoke. The students were checked out and were found to be okay.

Students and staff were able to resume classes in other sections of the building.