Police: Herndon shooting suspect dies after being shot by police during hostage standoff

Police said a suspect who wounded two people in a domestic-related shooting was killed by police after he held another person hostage inside a burning home in Herndon.

Police said it all began with an argument inside the home, which resulted in the suspect, identified by police as 32-year-old Mohammad Azim Doudzai, shooting two brothers. Police received a call at around 2:40 p.m. Monday from the two victims who told them they were driving themselves to the hospital.

Police then responded to a townhouse in the 13300 block of Covered Wagon Lane where the shooting suspect was located. Officers set up a perimeter around the home while also warning residents to stay clear of the area.

Fairfax County police spokesperson Julie Parker said after police arrived, an officer heard a gunshot fired inside the townhouse. In addition, smoke was also seen coming from the home after the suspect set the home on fire.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue arrived at the scene, but firefighters were unable to enter the home due to the barricade situation. A SWAT team then responded to the area.

Police said officers could hear repeated gunshots inside the home. Negotiators did talk with the suspect on the phone, but he was refusing to cooperate and commands to surrender.

"We had a hostage that was in the home that called 911 and said he could not breathe," said Fairfax County Police Chief Edwin Roessler.

As the fire intensified inside, police decided to approach the home. Police said the suspect stepped out of the front door armed with a knife and lunged the officers and he was shot with a Taser and gunfire by officers.

"The suspect was actively wielding what appears to be a knife and was a continuing threat to the safety of not only to the officers, the community, but the hostage that was in the home while the home was on fire," Roessler said.

Police said the suspect was transported to the hospital at around 4:40 p.m. where he was pronounced dead. The hostage was safely removed from the home and treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Chief Roessler said the situation put a lot of people in danger.

"You have human life actively endangered, you have a fire, you have an active shooter event -- we train for these types of events and this is training in action that saves further lives," said the police chief.

All three victims are expected to survive their injuries. No officers, firefighters or residents were injured during the ordeal.

Police have not disclosed the relationship between the suspect and the three victims.

The officer who shot the suspect has been placed on routine administrative leave.