Montgomery County officer who shot suspect in Silver Spring was wearing body cam

Montgomery County police say the officer who fired his service weapon that injured the driver of an SUV at a Silver Spring shopping center parking lot was attempting to get the driver to stop ramming another vehicle.

On Monday, police identified the officer as Todd Archer, a 10-year veteran of the police department. He has been placed on administrative leave as part of standard protocol after a police-involved shooting.

Montgomery County police say they received a call from a 29-year-old driver of a Toyota Camry at around 8:20 p.m. Sunday who told the 911 call taker that a man he did not know was using a Cadillac Escalade to repeatedly ram his car at the Stoneymill Square shopping center on Veirs Mill Road.

What exactly happened next is unclear and remains under investigation. However, FOX 5 has learned the incident was captured on camera.

"Yes, [the officer] was wearing a body cam and that video is still being reviewed," said Montgomery County Police Capt. Paul Starks.

Starks also told FOX 5 that Archer turned on his body camera before he got out of his vehicle and was alone in his cruiser when he responded to the scene.

Police say the 52-year-old male driver of the SUV was shot in the upper torso and lifesaving first aid was given immediately. He was transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

The driver of the Camry who was being rammed was not injured.

It is unclear what led up to the incident although police say it does not appear to be road rage.

"Our Internal Affairs Division is conducting the administrative investigation to determine if the officer complied with departmental directives, rules, policy and training," said Capt. Starks. "Our Major Crimes Division is investigating the shooting itself to help determine if the actions were within the law. When they are completed with their investigation, they will submit their findings to the Howard County state's attorney."

The driver of that SUV who was shot has not been identified because police say no charges have been filed.