Medical examiner: Prince died of accidental fentanyl overdose

The Midwest Medical Examiner confirmed Thursday afternoon Prince died of an accidental self-administered fentanyl overdose.

Fentanyl is a highly-powerful opioid that can be used to treat severe pain. It is about 100 times more potent than morphine. The only cause of death listed in the report was fentanyl toxicity. No "significant conditions" were listed below the cause of death.

The report noted Prince had a scar on his left hip and lower right leg. He was wearing a black cap, black shirt, gray undershirt, black pants, black boxer briefs and black socks when he was found.

Painkillers have been a major focus in reports following his death at Paisley Park on April 21. He was set to meet with a California doctor to help kick an opiate addiction the day before he died.

The report was released to the public on Thursday afternoon because the medical examiner had completed its investigation. The Carver County sheriff's office will continue its own investigation.

On May 6, a Minnesota doctor who treated the music icon was identified in a search warrant served at North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale, Minn. Dr. Schulenberg allegedly wrote Prince prescriptions and was at Paisley Park the day he died.

DETAILS- Search warrant names Minnesota doctor treating Prince before death

MORE COVERAGE- Prince dead at Paisley Park estate in Minnesota