Loudoun County firefighters make sure family has presents for Christmas after fire destroys home

Firefighters in Loudoun County tried to bring a little joy to a family whose home was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day.

Three adults, five children, and a dog were displaced by the fire, which broke out at 2:40 a.m. on Tuesday.

The day after rescuing the family from the burning home on Airmont Road in Round Hill, local firefighters gathered donated presents for the children.

Investigators believe the fire was sparked by an unattended candle.

When they responded to the scene around 2:40 a.m., firefighters say they encountered heavy smoke and fire issuing from both levels of the home.

Multiple crews responded from Round Hill, Philomont, Purcellville, Hamilton, and Leesburg.

None of the residents were injured - but one firefighter was taken to a local medical facility for evaluation.

The Red Cross assisted the family after the fire.