Census Bureau shooting suspect charged with kidnapping, assault on officer

Image 1 of 2

The man accused of fatally shooting a security guard at the U.S. Census Bureau in Maryland before leading police on a car chase that ended in Washington D.C. was charged by D.C. police on Friday.

Police have charged 48-year-old Ronald Anderson of Southeast D.C. with kidnapping while armed and assault on a police officer while armed.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said Thursday night this all began with an armed kidnapping of a woman at around 5:30 p.m. Thursday in the area of 3rd and T Streets in Northeast. Police believe it was a domestic in nature. A court affidavit says Anderson used a .45 caliber handgun to abduct the victim.

Police say the suspect then shot security guard, Lawrence Buckner, about 30 minutes later at the U.S. Census Bureau in Suitland. Buckner approached the suspect's car because it matched a description that had been sent about the search for the kidnapping suspect.

Buckner was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center where he died at 7:19 p.m. Thursday.

Employees at the Census Bureau were sheltered in place while authorities searched for the shooting suspect in an active shooter investigation.

But an hour and a half after the shooting, Lanier said officers spotted a green Honda Accord in the Woodland Terrace neighborhood of Southeast D.C. That vehicle was wanted in connection with the Census Bureau shooting. Officers began to pursue that vehicle and that is when police say Anderson led them on a wild car chase. During the chase, shots were fired from the suspect's vehicle and it eventually led to a shootout in which Anderson and a D.C. police sergeant were both wounded in the 1100 block of H Street in Northeast. Two other officers suffered minor injuries in a crash.

Anderson was hospitalized and still remains there Friday. Sources tell FOX 5 that he was shot at least once in his head. His condition is unknown as of Friday afternoon. His 48th birthday was on Thursday.

Anderson was also supposed to be due in court Thursday in Prince George's County in Maryland for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend in a domestic dispute back in February. According to court documents, police also recovered marijuana at the apartment during the incident. Anderson was arrested and charged with second-degree assault along with possession with intent to distribute. He was released on the day of his arrest.

The Associated Press says another court record shows Anderson pleaded guilty to manslaughter while armed in 1991 in D.C.

On Friday, D.C. police say the sergeant who was shot is recovering.

Police say the female kidnapping victim during Thursday's incident was located safely. A court affidavit says the victim is the same woman he is accused of assaulting in the February domestic dispute incident in Prince George's County.

"Yesterday's late afternoon shooting of a security guard at the Suitland Federal Center was a tragic and scary event for the Census Bureau family. We know the situation last night was tense, especially for the hundreds of employees who sheltered in the building and in their cars for several hours not knowing when the incident would be over. The security and safety of our employees is our top priority and we appreciate everyone's cooperation as law enforcement worked to clear the scene to make sure we were safe and free from danger.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and co-workers of Master Security Officer Lawrence Buckner, who was killed in the line of duty protecting us and other workers at the Suitland Federal Center. We commend the Federal Protective Service, FBI, Prince George's County Police Department, and DC Metropolitan Police Department for their prompt response to the incident and thank them for their service."