SAO PAULO, Brazil (FOX 11) - Two young men, wearing hoods and carrying firearms and other weapons, opened fire at a school in southern Brazil on Wednesday, killing eight people before taking their own lives, authorities said.
The dead included two teachers and six students, and several other people had been hospitalized after sustaining injuries, according to Gov. Joao Doria, speaking a few blocks from the public school.
The shooting happened in Suzano, a suburb of Sao Paulo, Brazil's largest city.
The attackers appeared to be in their early to mid-20s. Authorities don't believe they were former students, the governor said, adding that the school was on lockdown.
Doria tweeted video of him arriving at the scene.
The public school, Raul Brasil Professor, has more than 1,600 students from elementary to high school grades, teachers gathered outside said.
Latin America's largest nation has the largest number of annual homicides in the world, but school shootings are rare.
The last one occurred in 2011, when the former student of a school returned and shot 12 children fatally, Fox News reports.
Brazil's new President Jair Bolsonaro recently announced that gun ownership controls would be loosened.
FOX 11 reported on this story from Los Angeles. The Associated Press contributed.