WASHINGTON - The DMV serves as a breeding ground for some of the top student-athletes in the nation.
Whether public, public charter or private school, D.C., Maryland and Virginia are home to a bevy of prominent high school football programs.
The playoffs are upon us and as some teams seek to survive and advance, others will hit the field for the last time this season, before ultimately turning in their equipment.
For the top teams in the DMV, anything less than a championship will be a disappointment.
FOX 5 is tracking the premiere teams in the region.
Top 5 high school football teams
- Quince Orchard (9-0) Week 10 Result: BYEThe Quince Orchard Cougars had a first-round bye in the Maryland 4A playoffs. Their time off was a result of the stellar season the Cougars put forth; not only was Quince Orchard 9-0, but of those 9 victories, 6 came against teams that were ranked in the Fox 5 Top 25, i.e. the Cougars played arguably the toughest public school schedule in the DMV.
- Good Counsel (8-1) Week 10 Result: Defeated Bishop McNamara, 24-0 The Falcons are flying high after another decisive victory, this one over a gritty Mustangs squad. In all, Good Counsel has won 8 consecutive games, including a regular season sweep of their WCAC opponents. If Good Counsel can add two more ‘W’s’ to their docket and end the season conference champions, it will be hard to not rank them number 1.
- Freedom (9-0) Week 10 Result: Defeated St. Michael the Archangel, 65-20 The young men from Woodbridge scored 60 or more points for the 7th consecutive game, a feat that is nearly unheard of and make no mistake about it, I believe them to be the most talented public school in the DMV and perhaps the best. However, their strength of schedule leaves a lot to be desired. In 9 games, Freedom has only played three teams with winning records. The Eagles will have a chance to change that with potential match-ups with Mountain View and Battlefield on the horizon.
- DeMatha (8-1) Week 10 Result: BYE The Stags were idle in the final week of the regular season as they prepared for their first-round match-up with St. John’s. The last time these teams met, DeMatha won in overtime.
- Wise (8-1) Week 10 Result: BYE Coach DaLawn Parrishs’ top-seeded Pumas had a bye in the first round of the Maryland 4A playoffs. They will return to action this Friday.
Top 25 high school football teams
9-1, defeated Bladensburg, 63-0 | Next, Eleanor Roosevelt
7. North Point
10-0, defeated Crofton, 49-0 | Next, Great Mills
10-0, defeated Patriot, 26-23 | Next, Patriot
10-0, defeated North Hagerstown, 57-12 | Next, Sherwood
10-0, defeated Broad Run, 49-21 | Next, BYE
9-1, defeated Friendly, 22-7 | Next, Patuxent
8-2, defeated Riverdale Baptist, 18-7 | Next, BYE
13. South Lakes
10-0, defeated Westfield, 28-24 | Next, Yorktown
9-0, BYE | Next, Whitman
8-1, defeated Centreville, 38-0 | Next, Langley
16. South County
8-2, defeated West Potomac, 32-17 | Next, West Potomac
9-1, defeated Rockville, 63-6 | Next, Manchester Valley
8-1, BYE | Next, BYE
7-1, defeated Clarksburg, 21-6 | Next, Churchill
8-1, defeated Richard Montgomery, 41-12 | Next, Gaithersburg
21. Lake Braddock
8-2, defeated Robinson, 37-7 | Next, Mount Vernon
6-4, defeated by St. John’s, 23-20 (OT) | Next, Good Counsel
7-2, defeated Roosevelt, 36-7 | Next, TBD
24. Stone Bridge
6-4, defeated Riverside, 51-7 | Next, BYE
25. Briar Woods
7-3 defeated by Independence, 9-6 | Next, BYE
26. Saint John's
5-4, defeated Gonzaga, 23-20 (OT) | Next, DeMatha
27. Bishop McNamara
6-3, defeated by DeMatha, 33-0 | Next, Good Counsel
8-2, defeated Seneca Valley, 36-0 | Next, Quince Orchard
29. Georgetown Prep
7-2, defeated St. Albans | Next, Bullis
30. Walter Johnson
8-2, defeated High Point, 61-12 | Next, Blair