Teen raped, forced woman to jump into Anacostia River naked, police say

A teenager has been arrested after authorities said he carjacked and raped a woman before forcing her to take off all her clothes and jump into the frigid waters of the Anacostia River.

Officials said 17-year-old Troy Ashley, who has been charged as an adult, attacked the woman the evening of March 21 in the 3200 block of Buena Vista Terrace in Southeast D.C.

Court documents filed in the case state the victim went to her car to make a phone call when Ashley forced his way into her vehicle at gunpoint. Authorities said Ashley forced the victim to drive to an alleyway where he sexually assaulted and raped her.

The victim told investigators Ashley demanded money but she tried to explain to him that she didn't have her wallet with her. At that point, officials said Ashley told the victim to remove all her clothes and forced her to jump into the Anacostia River.

Authorities said the victim was able to hold onto her cellphone after jumping into the water and called 911. Officers with the U.S. Park Police were able to locate her as she used the flashlight from her phone to wave them down.

Police found the victim naked, partially submerged in the water and holding onto a ledge. Weather conditions included a freezing drizzle and the water current was swift that evening.

Officials said Ashley drove off in the victim's vehicle with all her clothes. Detectives were able to track the GPS coordinates of the victim's vehicle to the 1300 block of Mississippi Avenue in Southeast and stated the license plates had been removed and replaced with Virginia temporary tags.

Two young males were located inside the vehicle on Monday and attempted to flee the scene when approached by officers, according to officials.

Authorities said Ashley was arrested and his photo was picked out of a line up by the victim. Ashley has been charged as an adult with first-degree sexual abuse while armed. He was ordered to be held without bond during his bond hearing on Wednesday.

The victim was hospitalized following the incident and her condition has not been released by authorities.