Space heater likely cause of fire that destroyed home in Germantown

A space heater is the likely cause of an electrical fire that ignited a blaze that destroyed a home in Germantown early Thursday morning.

Officials say firefighters responded to Emerald Drive around 4 a.m. after the homeowner, who was returning to the house, saw smoke coming from inside. Firefighters arrived to find fire on several levels of the home.

Pete Piringer, the chief spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, said that the space heater was being used on the first floor. He said the blaze caused $750,000 in total damages and said that the house was unsafe to occupy.

At least three firefighters fell through a hole in the floor as they were entering the home. They were quickly pulled out by other firefighters. None of the firefighters are believed to have suffered serious injuries.

No occupants were believed to have been inside of the house at the time of the fire.