Resident, 2 firefighters injured in 2-alarm townhouse fire in Olney

About 100 firefighters in Montgomery County extinguished a two-alarm fire at a townhouse that spread to four other neighboring homes in Olney.

The blaze took place in the 3500 block of Softwood Terrace at around 7:15 p.m. Friday. The fire caused a partial collapse of the townhouse that the fire originated from, according to fire officials.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Pete Piringer said a homeowner suffered non-life-threatening burns and smoke inhalation. Two other firefighters were evaluated for non-life-threatening injuries.

According to Piringer, the fire is believed to have been caused by the homeowner misusing lighter fluid to restart a fire in his fireplace. As the homeowner fled from the home, he left the door open and the fire also spread to the outdoor deck in the back of the townhouse.

Piringer said about 20 people are being displaced from their homes and the American Red Cross was in the neigborhood to assist them.

The total damage caused by the fire is estimated to be more than $1 million.