Nonprofit CEO mysteriously found dead in Fairfax home

Police said Monday they don’t believe there’s a wider threat to the community after the CEO of a nonprofit was found dead in his Fairfax home early Friday.

There have been no arrests in the homicide of Gret Glyer, 32, and police have not identified any suspects or persons of interest.

Officers from the Fairfax City Police Department were called to the 9800 block of Bolton Village Court just before 3 a.m. Friday after Glyer’s wife called 911.

According to police radio audio, a dispatcher said: "She heard a loud noise and believes her husband has been shot. She believes someone came into the house."

A next-door neighbor said he heard three gunshots and police had arrived before he could call himself.


Police said Glyer’s two young children were also in the home at the time but were not injured.

According to Glyer’s social media posts, his youngest son is about to turn 6 months old.

Police said they found a rear door to the home that was open but did not provide an answer whether there were any signs of forced entry or weapons recovered at the scene.

Glyer's organization DonorSee is using the platform to raise money to help his wife and two kids. They released the following statement after his death: 

"We continue to grieve the loss of our inspirational Founder and friend, Gret Glyer. For anyone that would like to help, we have opened a project to raise funds in support of Gret’s wife Heather and their two young children. All of the funds raised will go directly to his family to help them going forward. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers."

The project has raised over $40,000 thus far and a separate GoFundMe page for the family has raised over $100,000.

Image 1 of 5

Courtesy: DonorSee

Heather Glyer told FOX5 that DonorSee was her husband’s "heart and his vision," and urged people to donate to the organization to help those in need.

She said she couldn’t comment on the police investigation. 

Neighbor Gerald Searles said people in the area are on edge even though the police told neighbors early on they don’t believe there’s any wider danger to the community. 

Download the FOX 5 DC News App for Local Breaking News and Weather

"We definitely are just being a little bit more vigilant about just keeping our eyes and ears open," Searles said. "I don’t think many people saw or heard anything at that time in the morning, but we definitely are just taking precautions and doing what’s necessary to feel more comfortable."

He and other neighbors said the Glyer family was new to the area and had moved in about six months ago.

Police say this is the first homicide in the city of Fairfax in 14 years.

The City of Fairfax Police Department said it is fully committed to investigating this case thoroughly and looks forward to speaking to anyone who has any knowledge or information about this case. They are encouraging the public to call the police department if they see or hear anything suspicious (703-385-7924). 

This is a developing story. Check back with FOX 5 for updates.