Austin Fire Department says a male in his 20's is dead from what appears to be hydrogen sulfide exposure. They also report that there was a sign found on scene that warned of hydrogen sulfide or sewer gas.
The incident occurred near 2100 Pearl Street in West Campus, blocks away from the University of Texas.
Everyone who lives at the "21 Pearl" apartment complex was evacuated while crews monitor the air. Around 300-400 people live at 21 Pearl. Authorities feel confident people can return home soon.
Austin Fire Dept says hydrogen sulfide is often used in chemical suicide. An investigation will be done to determine if this was a suicide.
University of Texas Dean Office has been contacted if any students need a place to stay tonight due to the hazmat call.
A woman in her 40's was taken to the hospital following the incident in West Campus. 2 others were treated by medics on scene. In total 6 people were effected by the gas, including the deceased male.
FOX 7's Ashley Paredez is following this story and will bring you more the moment new information arrives. Follow Ashley on Twitter here.