Ford brothers indicted for police attack that led to Prince George's County officer's death

Three brothers were indicted Tuesday in Prince George's County for the deadly attack outside the District 3 Police Station in Landover.

Michael Ford, 22, was indicted on 55 counts, including second-degree murder, after prosecutors say he opened fire on officers on March 13. Officer Jacai Colson was killed by friendly fire as fellow officers shot back at the gunman standing in the street.

Ford's brothers, Elijah, 18, and Malik, 21, also were indicted on multiple counts, including attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder. They are accused of sitting in a car and recording the attack on cellphones.

"We thank the citizens of the Grand Jury who handed down the indictments today," Prince George's County Police Chief Hank Stawinski said in a statement on Tuesday. "While this is a significant responsibility in and of itself, the product of their work supports the men and women of the Prince George's County Police Department and affirms the sacrifices they make for our community, and for that I'm deeply appreciative. This decision is another step in the process of ensuring justice is served on behalf of the Colson family, this police department and this community."

"We are very pleased that the grand jury returned indictments against all three of these defendants," said Prince George's County State's Attorney Angela Alsobrooks. "This was an attack that hurt our community deeply and we will now move forward with the process of holding them accountable for their actions."

After the brothers were arrested in March, police said they had cell phone video that captured the gunman, Michael Ford, dictating his last will and testament, and that the video was recorded just minutes before his two brothers drove him to the police station. Once at the station, police said Michael Ford opened fire on the police station, shooting at responding officers at the building as well as at a passing ambulance and two other vehicles.

Last month, Officer Taylor Krauss was identified as the officer who fired the shot that killed Colson during the shootout. Police said Colson, an undercover narcotics detective, was not in uniform and had arrived in an unmarked private vehicle when he exchanged gunfire with Michael Ford at the time of the ambush. He was killed by friendly fire after he was mistaken as a second shooter in the incident.