Fairfax County family jumps from 2nd-floor window as fire destroys home

A family in Fairfax County escaped an early-morning blaze at their home by jumping from a second-floor window, according to officials.

Fairfax County firefighters responded to the fire just before 2 a.m. on Bronze Post Court in Centreville on Sunday. When firefighters arrived, the home was fully engulfed in flames and it took hours to fully put the fire out. Only the front brick wall of the house was remaining after the fire was put out.

A 911 caller reported that people were trapped inside the home. Fire officials said five people were in the home when the fire broke out.

Before crews arrived at the scene, an adult and three children escaped by jumping from a second-story window, the fire department stated. All five people who were in the home were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. No firefighters were injured while battling the blaze, according to officials.

Fire investigators determined the fire started on the outside rear deck within a chiminea outdoor fireplace that was unattended. Officials said the estimated damage was more than $530,000.