LA PLATA, Md. (FOX 5 DC) - The Board of Education of Charles County voted Tuesday to push back the school district's Phase 2 reopening to March 22.
The school board voted 5-2 during a virtual meeting on February 9. They say the school system needs more time to allow staff to receive both doses of the COVID-19 vaccination.
Superintendent Kimberly Hill recommended to the Board to start Phase 2 on March 1 earlier in the meeting.
Hill said staff will still return on Feb. 22 regardless of the later start date for students.
Charles County Public Schools identified 7,256 students who are eligible to return in Phase 2, and provided parents a choice for in-person or virtual learning for their children.
Students in Phase 2 include:
• Students receiving special education services
• English Learners (EL) students
• Students who have a 504 plan
• Students who do not have internet access at home
• Students who are homeless or displaced/living in foster care
• Students who are children of CCPS employees
• High school juniors and seniors enrolled in the following Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses.
This story is developing. Stay with FOX 5 for the latest updates.