Census Bureau shooting suspect shot by DC police after chase; officers injured, guard killed

The FBI says an armed kidnapping suspect who was shot by police after leading them on a chase Thursday night is the same suspect who shot and killed a security guard at the U.S. Census Bureau in Suitland, Md.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier and Mayor Muriel Bowser briefed the media after the suspect was taken into custody. They said the situation started with an armed kidnapping at about 5:30 p.m. in the area of 3rd and T Street NE. Police believe it was a domestic situation.

Then, around 6 p.m., the same suspect shot a security guard, identified as Lawrence Buckner, at the U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters. Police say that guard approached the suspect's car because it matched the description that had been sent out about the search for the kidnapping suspect. Buckner later died a hospital.

Police say the suspect shot the security guard, and then took off, eventually becoming involved in a wild chase with D.C. police officers in the 7th District, who swarmed the area. Lanier said it started when officers got behind the suspect's car and shots were fired from the vehicle. This continued to 11th and H St. NE. During shootouts between the suspect and officers, the suspect and one of the officers were both shot. Two other officers were hurt, possibly in the crash.

Sources tell FOX 5's Paul Wagner reported the wounded Metropolitan Police officer is a sergeant who may have been hit in the leg by a ricocheting bullet, but is said to be okay.

Lanier said the suspect was conscious and breathing, but witnesses at the scene said he looked like he was dead and may have been shot in the head. Lanier would not confirm information about where he was shot.

Police said the kidnapping victim had been found around the time the chase came to an end. There was no word on that person's identity or specific condition, only that the victim was said to be okay.

What was a very busy H Street NE was shut down as a result of this incident. When the situation started to unfold, the area was very busy, with many people on the street and packed in restaurants for dinner.

Meanwhile, employees at the U.S. Census Bureau were ordered to stay inside and stay away from the windows while officers and even snipers searched for the shooter, thinking he might still be on the campus. A spokesperson at Prince George's Hospital Center said the security guard died at 7:19 p.m. Thursday.

Stay with myfoxdc.com and FOX 5 News for the latest on this developing story.