Candle causes fire that forced woman to jump from apartment window

A candle caused a fire that left a woman hospitalized after she jumped from her apartment window to escape the flames. The fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. in the 100 block of Wayne Place in Southeast, D.C.

Investigators say the woman jumped from the window before they arrived on the scene. The fire appeared to have started on the second floor of the three-story apartment.

Firefighters urge residents to make sure burning candles are never left unattended and to extinguish them before going to sleep.

The victim remains hospitalized in critical condition.