COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Three new cases of Adenovirus have been confirmed in University of Maryland students - bringing the total number of cases to nine.
One student died after being diagnosed with the dangerous virus.
The university says the students who were most recently diagnosed did not need to go to the hospital, and five of the students who were previously diagnosed are recovering.
Nevertheless, the university's health center remains on high alert.
The University of Maryland says they continue to work closely with local and state health departments to stop the spread of Adenovirus on campus.
According to officials:
- Crews have been redoubling cleaning efforts in high touch areas
- Faculty has been advised to be flexible with students who are ill
- The Campus Health Center is working to track cases and inform the community
Adenovirus is essentially the common cold - which is found in a significant number of people this time of year.
Most people will not have any issues, but some strains are worse than others, and those with chronic medical problems or a weaker immune system are more susceptible to complications.
Earlier this month, 18-year-old Olivia Paregol became sick and later died from pneumonia caused by Adenovirus.
Paregol's father told FOX 5 that her immune system was already compromised because of medications she took for Crohn's Disease, but he also raised concerns that his daughter's exposure to mold from her campus dorm could be connected.
The school recently responded to the newest diagnoses with an updated statement:
The University of Maryland is deeply saddened to learn of the death of one of our students from Adenovirus-associated illness. Our condolences are with Olivia's family and friends.
Since learning of an isolated case of Adenovirus on November 1, we have been working with the state and local health department to track cases and inform our community how seriously to take cold and flu season - especially for anyone with special health circumstances or a weakened immune system.
Crews are redoubling cleaning efforts in high-touch areas to tackle the spread of viruses, faculty have been given guidance to be flexible with students who are ill, and the Health Center is on high alert, using the state's best practices for treatment and testing.
We understand that there are concerns from our campus about how the virus spreads. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that no link exists between mold and Adenovirus.
Meanwhile, students and teachers are staying vigilant.
It is best to see a doctor if you have any prolonged symptoms. But, again, Adenovirus is not necessarily considered a danger.