WASHINGTON - Two men facing charges in the murder of 10-year-old Makiyah Wilson were in court for a hearing Friday.
Wilson was hit by a stray bullet during a shooting in Northeast D.C. on July 16.
The preliminary hearing was supposed to discuss the evidence for probable cause in the case in order for the judge to decide whether to send it to a grand jury. Instead, one of the defendants, 20-year-old Qujuan Thomas, told Judge Craig Iscoe that he was unhappy with his lawyer and wanted a new one. The attorney representing 21-year-old Quentin Michals had a conflict of interest and has withdrawn from the case.
The courtroom was packed on one side with the family and friends of Wilson while the other side was filled with reporters along with friends and family of the two men charged in the case.
As many as nine court security officers and U.S. Marshals were positioned throughout the courtroom to prevent another incident when the two defendants first appeared in court in August. Insults and threats were exchanged between the two families and the courtroom had to be cleared.
Since mid-July, police had been looking for five men who drove into the Clay Terrace neighborhood in Northeast D.C. and opened fire with four different guns. One was an assault weapon and 76 rounds were fired in total during the shooting.
Outside the courthouse on Friday, Wilson's mother said she wants to see the other three suspects off the street.
"It's outrage," said Donnetta Wilson, Makiyah's mother. "It's a lot because at the end of the day I still have to live my life. I still have an 18-year-old that was shot, so it's outrage not to know what's going on - the whole situation. Like I said, this is not just a little situation. It's a big situation because my baby was only 10. It's sad going to sleep every night, waking up and just still know that there are still other people out here."
The next court hearing for Thomas and Michals is scheduled for next Wednesday.
FOX 5's coverage on the deadly shooting of Makiyah Wilson: