1 dead, 2 hospitalized after dishwashing liquid served at San Mateo senior home
SAN MATEO, Calif. - A resident of a San Mateo senior citizens home died after being mistakenly served dishwashing liquid as drinking juice, the home said.
Three residents of Atria Park Senior Living Facility in San Mateo, about 20 miles south of San Francisco, were taken to the hospital after they were served the drink on Saturday morning, the facility told KTVU in a statement.
"We have been working with local authorities, who have informed us that one resident passed away. Our sincerest condolences are with the family," Atria said in the statement.
ALSO: Dive team who found Kiely Rodni searches for 2 other missing California women
The facility has suspended employees involved while it investigates, and the facility also is cooperating with authorities, the statement said.
Other details weren’t immediately released.
However, Marcia Cutchin told KRON-TV that the dead resident was her mother, 93-year-old Gertrude Elizabeth Murison Maxwell.
ALSO: Man rescued after falling 100 feet from cliff in San Mateo County
Maxwell arrived at the hospital with "severe blistering of her mouth and throat and esophagus," Cutchin said.
Atria told the family that the substance was an "alkaline cleaning solution that eats protein," she said.
Her mother had dementia and was incapable of feeding herself, she said.
Maxwell leaves eight children and 20 grandchildren, her daughter said.