Officials: mother led deputies on high-speed chase with kids in car

A DeKalb County mother is behind bars after leading deputies on a high-speed pursuit in Gwinnett County with her two unrestrained children in the car.

It started around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday on Beaver Ruin Road near the Interstate 85 ramp.

"She's supposed to be making a left-hand turn. She suddenly decides to make a right-hand turn," said Gwinnett County Deputy Shannon Volkodav, who shared the dash cam video with FOX 5 News.

Volkodav said a Gwinnett County deputy tried to pull over a vehicle driven by 30-year-old Amber Martin after observing erratic driving.

"Our deputies certainly had no way of knowing there were two young children in the car but there was one person that night who did know. And that was their mother," said Volkodav.

Martin was seen on dashcam video speeding on surface streets and then circling back to Beaver Ruin Road to go south on Interstate 85.

Authorities said Gwinnett and DeKalb County police helped clear the highway to end the six-minute pursuit.

"They were very instrumental in getting the highway shut down so our deputy has optimal conditions to perform his pit maneuver," said Volkodav.

Martin's car struck a Gwinnett County police car when it was forced to a stop. Within seconds, she was surrounded by law enforcement and arrested.

Martin, who told deputies she was trying to pull over, was arrested. She was charged with DUI, reckless driving, child endangerment, and other charges.

Her children were both unrestrained, but were uninjured. On the video, a deputy pulled the 8-year-old girl out of a blown-out back window. Her 5-year-old brother is seen being taken out of the car through the back door.

"It's a very helpless feeling to see young children who are so frightened and you just want so desperately to comfort them," said Volkodav.

As of late Wednesday night, Martin was being held on a bond of more than $40,000.

Volkodav said she had various drugs in the car and was believed to be under the influence.

She said the two children were taken to the hospital and were cleared medically. They were later released to a family member.

FOX 5 News reached out to a family member of Martin listed on the police report. A man who answered the phone said he had no comment.