Homes in Rockville temporarily evacuated after high levels of gas reported in area
ROCKVILLE, Md. - Several homes in Rockville were temporarily evacuated after hazardous levels of gas were reported, fire officials say.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer says homes on 1st Street, Lawrence Court and Lawrence Drive were affected.
Piringer says gasoline from a nearby construction site leaked into the sewer producing the smell. Authorities will likely put down foam to try to absorb as much of the gasoline as possible.
Evacuated residents were moved to a nearby senior center before they were allowed to return to their homes. Some roads were closed during the emergency response.