Copperhead snake bites customer at Lowe's in Lincoln County
DENVER, NC (WJZY) - A customer at a Lowe's Home Improvement store in Denver, NC was bitten by a snake, according to a spokesperson for Lowe's.
Lowe's said the customer was in the lawn and garden center where trees are displayed for sale when the customer was bitten by the snake.
Store employees called 911 and arranged for emergency personnel to take the customer to a local hospital, according to Lowe's.
According to the 911 call, a 45-year-old man was bitten on his forearm above the wrist.
"It's a big old... It's like an egg is in his arm. It looks bad. He says it hurts all the way up his shoulder." (911 call)
Emergency responders tell Fox 46 Charlotte Lowe's employees killed the copperhead.
"Do you know where the snake is now? It's dead and in the bag." (911 call)
A Lowe's spokesperson says no other snakes were found and a pest control company is checking the entire store.
The North Carolina poison center gets about 500 calls a year from people bitten by poisonous snakes. Most of those bites are from copperheads.
If you're bitten, the poison center says to take off any jewelry around the bite and call their number 1-800-222-1222. If you're attacked by a rattlesnake, the medical director says to call 9-1-1 immediately.
There are also a few things you should not do.
"Make sure you do not apply any ice or tourniquet." (911 call)
According to the East Lincoln Fire Department, the snake was a 4.5 foot copperhead.
Firefighters are warning people to be mindful of their surroundings when shopping for gardening supplies.
Lowe's says they do not know how the snake got into the garden center.
Listen to the 911 call above.
For the North Carolina Poison Center you can call 1-800-222-1222. For their website, CLICK HERE!