Closing arguments in trial of man accused of attacking, raping women near Metro

Closing arguments were held Monday for a Maryland man accused of attacking and raping women as they walked home from the Metro in the summer of last year.

Demetrius Banks is accused of robbing three women, and raping and robbing two others during a crime spree that went on for 30 days near the Brookland and Fort Totten Metro stations.

During the closing arguments, prosecutors reminded jurors that DNA evidence connects Banks to both of the rapes and surveillance video shows him using the victim's credit cards at area convenience stores and gas stations. The panel was also reminded that a number of items stolen from the women were found in his possession.

Banks claims he is innocent and a victim of false identification. His lawyer says the sex was consensual.

On September 1, 2015, D.C. police released a video of a man they say was wanted in connection of a robbery and rape that had taken place on August 28 in the 1500 block of Michigan Avenue, Northeast.

Multiple stations, including FOX 5, aired the video. Later that night, three people called police to say the man in the video was Banks. One person identified him by his full name and two others by his nickname "Meechie."

According to prosecutors, Banks is the same man who raped the woman on Michigan Avenue before hopping on a bike, leaving the area and using her credit cards to make small purchases. DNA connects him to the crime.

A month earlier, prosecutors say Banks also raped a woman behind a building on Riggs Road after abducting her as she walked from the Fort Totten station. There is DNA in that case too.

Banks' lawyer told the jury Monday that the sex with those women was impulsive and consensual, and the three other women he allegedly robbed as they walked from the Fort Totten station identified the wrong man.

In the rape on Michigan Avenue, the victim saw a chance to escape, and although she was naked, she ran into the street and screamed for help. Just seconds later, a police car came down the street and took her to safety.