Body of Eddison Hermond found in Patapsco River after Ellicott City flood, Howard County police say

Howard County police announced the body of a missing man was found in the Patapsco River in Baltimore County on Tuesday.

Crews were frantically searching for 39-year-old Eddison Hermond, a man who was swept away by floodwaters in Ellicott City while attempting to help a woman find her cat on Sunday, according to officials. Police confirmed the body found on Tuesday was Hermond.

RELATED: How You Can Help The Ellicott City Flooding Victims

Officials said Hermond was believed to have been washed away as the intense floodwaters surged down Main Street in the Ellicott City Historic District. Friends said Hermond was trying to help a woman rescue her cat behind the La Palapa restaurant when he was overcome by the brown rushing water.

"He would do that for anyone. He has done so much for me in my life and that's just him," Joe Lopez, Hermond's friend explained to FOX 5. "He was just an amazing guy."

Hermond is a sergeant with the National Guard and an Air Force veteran, according to officials.

"We're deeply saddened to learn that the body of Sgt. Eddison Hermond has been found. There are no words to adequately describe our sense of loss," Gov. Larry Hogan said in a statement. "He was a man who dedicated his life in service to others, in the Air Force & MD National Guard, and again on Sunday night as he bravely risked his life to assist a fellow citizen during the flooding in Ellicott City. Our heartfelt prayers go out to Sgt. Hermond's family and loved ones."

The Governor announced Tuesday night that he was ordering Maryland flags to fly at half-staff in honor of Hermond.

"His service to our country, state, and local community will not soon be forgotten. Flags will return to full-staff sunset of the day he is laid to rest."

Emergency crews continued to work Tuesday following the second devastating flood in the last two years that left the historic Maryland city in ruins. The heavy Memorial Day weekend storm created flash floods that sent cars floating down Main Street. First responders rushed to the scene to rescue people who had become trapped in buildings along the roadway.

Sunday's destruction came less than two years after flood waters ripped through the same part of town leaving two people dead and causing millions in damage. Initial damage estimates appear to be higher than the 2016 flood, according to officials.