3 brothers charged in shooting at Prince George's Co. police station held 30 more days

A preliminary hearing was held Wednesday in Prince George's County for three brothers charged in the deadly attack outside the District 3 Police Station in Landover.

A judge determined there is probable cause to support murder and attempted murder charges against the Michael, Malik and Elijah Ford in the March 13th ambush attack on the police station and they will be held in jail for another 30 days.

The attack led to the death of undercover narcotics Detective Jacai Colson, according to police. Colson was killed by friendly fire as fellow officers shot back at the gunman standing in the street.

Prosecutors said the shooting was recorded by Malik and Elijah as oldest brother Michael opened fire on the building in what Malik Ford's attorney called an effort to commit suicide by cop.

"It's clear that our argument is going to be that he didn't have any intent, he didn't have any plan, wasn't part of any conspiracy to be involved in shooting any officers or any other civilians that day," said Benjamin Evan, the attorney for Malik Ford.

Relatives of the Ford brothers came to the court hearing in Upper Marlboro.

"It's emotional for the family and friends," said Erica Thomas, the aunt of the Ford brothers. "We're here to support them and show our love."

Thomas also said, "I can't believe it because these are not the guys that I know."

Also in court on Wednesday, Officer Taylor Krauss was identified as the officer who fired the shot that killed Officer Colson during the shootout.

Krauss was the only responding officer armed with a rifle that afternoon. Officer Colson was killed by a rifle shot.

"I spoke directly to Taylor and his wife today," said Prince George's County Police Chief Hank Stawinski. "They are doing well. They have had an opportunity to prepare themselves for this information coming into the public space."

We are told Officer Krauss remains on leave and will return to service when he is ready.

The official mourning period ends today exactly one month after the deadly shooting.

The case against the Ford brothers will go to a grand jury.